Packing for the entire family can be stressful. But with these easy packing hacks, you’re guaranteed to fit everything your kids need so you’re prepared for anything on the road and can focus simply on enjoying vacation.
Rolling is a must.
1) Roll the kids’ clothes tightly instead of folding – especially if you’re packing their blankets. This will help maximize space.
Make sure you don’t leave home without it.
2) An analogue packing list or packing list app will help make sure you’ve got everything you need for your family while you’re away.
Pack traveling drawers.
3) Use packing cubes to make traveling drawers. Simply pack each cube as you would for a drawer at home: one for shirts, one for pants, etc. Pull each “drawer” out daily and you’re on your way!
Organize outfits by day with resealable plastic bags.
4) For a budget-friendly option, organize the kids’ outfits by day in resealable plastic bags
so that you can easily grab-and-go clothes while you’re on the road. Don’t forget to pack one-to-two pairs of a back up change of clothes, too.
For more room, compress.
5) And if you’re still desperate for space, consider using compression bags.
These are especially handy if you’re packing the family for colder climates and need to fit bulky jackets, sweaters or sweatshirts.
Isolate shoes with shower caps.
6) Throw the kids’ shoes in a shower cap
to prevent dirty soles from making a mess.
Save your liquids.
7) BPA-free tubes will let you bring the kids’ sunscreens, lotions etc. without having to worry about harsh chemicals or staying within TSA limits.We’re a fan of using lotion savers to make filling liquid tubes a breeze.
8) You can also make your toiletries spill-proof by adding plastic wrap over the opening and then screwing the cap on it.
Go for solid shampoo.
9) A solid shampoo bar designed for even the most sensitive skin will save you from having to pack another bottle.
Keep clothes smelling fresh.
10) Tuck a dryer sheet either at the bottom of the suitcase or in the mesh pocket to keep their clothes smelling fresh.
Plan to eliminate odors on the road.
11) For the messiest of diaper or food accidents on the road, consider packing an odor eliminator
that removes all scents.
DIY Your Wrinkle-Release.
12) Throw travel-sized wrinkle-release spray
in your bag if your family is going to a formal event or taking family photos while on the road. Tip: you can make the spray
with items around the house, too.
Add a wet bag.
13) Pack a wet bag
to fill with the kid’s dirty clothes while you’re on the road and make laundry easier during or after your trip. Hint: for a budget friendly option, you could also pack a couple garbage bags for the same effect.
In a pinch, use your sink.
14) If your accommodations don’t have a washer dryer, laundry soap
designed for quick sink washes will still save you from having to overpack.
DIY a clean on the go.
15) For those times when you can’t make it back to your hotel room in time, a stain stick
will help you easily treat the kids’ clothes on the go. You can also DIY a travel-sized stick
Prepare to get lost.
16) Prepare as if you’re going to lose your checked luggage. This means that you should have duplicates of important items in both your carry-on and the baggage you’re going to check in. For example, have a day’s worth of the kids’ clothes in your carry-on. If they have medication, then remember to place extra doses in your carry-on.
What are your favorite packing hacks? Let us know in the comments!
We hope you love the tips and products on our list. Away Weego may at times use affiliate links to share products sold by others, but always offers genuine editorial recommendations.